Aftercare Policy - Cosmetics
Please read the following information carefully, as it includes terms & conditions relating to your Aftercare policy which affect the cover that we offer. If you do not comply with the terms and processes mentioned in the General Terms and Conditions as well as this Aftercare Policy you may not be entitled to any such further care. If there is anything in this policy that you do not completely understand, please contact us at (020 3411 9171) so we can clarify it.
In this document, by aftercare we mean:
- The care provided to you by your surgeon during your recovery,
- How to proceed if you have complications.
Please be advised that your Medbelle Patient Care Adviser will support you throughout your aftercare by answering your questions, liaising with your surgeon and arranging any appropriate appointments.
1 - Complications and Risks
Medbelle, the Hospital and your Surgeon will endeavour to ensure your procedure is completed to the highest standard. However, the results of any Surgery cannot be guaranteed with complete certainty.
- 1.1 - Expected results & limitations of surgery - there is a risk that you may not be completely satisfied with the result of your procedure. It is very important to understand and accept that while your surgeon will aim to achieve a good result in line with the goals you have discussed in consultation, they cannot guarantee an uneventful recovery or a perfect outcome. This means that you cannot expect a specific result, but rather, that your result will fall within a range of what is known as the ‘expected limits of surgery’.
- 1.2 - During your consultation, your Surgeon/Clinician will explain all risks and complications associated with your procedure. You must make sure you acknowledge, understand and accept all associated risks before consenting to have your surgery.
- 1.3 - It is possible that you may experience an unanticipated medical problem that arises following and as a result of the Procedure (also known as a ‘postoperative complication’). In some cases, an emergency return to theatre may be medically necessary.
- 1.4 - It is also possible that you may experience a complication that arises sometime after your procedure for which your Surgeon may recommend Corrective/Revision surgery. Funding for this surgery will be determined by the terms and conditions of this Aftercare policy.
- 1.5 - Your surgeon is responsible for making all clinical decisions pertaining to your care. Your surgeon decides whether a revision would be appropriate and what that treatment plan will be. Medbelle will support the decision of the operating surgeon.
- 1.6 - Your tolerance of the risks of surgery - If you believe that you would be unable to accept any of the risks/complications as outlined by your surgeon as well as the limitations of cover outlined in this document, then surgery is not advised for you. Before you choose to move forward with any surgery, you will need to understand and accept that every procedure carries with it a risk of complications. While surgery may help you achieve significant improvement, ‘perfection’ is ultimately not possible.
2 - General Terms pertaining to Corrective/Revision Surgery
All recommendations for the provision of your care as outlined in these terms will come from the surgeon, including whether the care can be safely managed within the private sector or the NHS.
- 2.1 - If your surgeon confirms you have suffered a directly related Postoperative Complication that occurs after your surgery as a result of your procedure within the timeframe outlined in this document, the costs arising due to such readmissions will be covered provided that 1) you are admitted to the same Hospital under the care of the same Surgeon and 2) you have followed the instructions of your Surgeon and our Aftercare policy.
- 2.2 - In some cases, Corrective/Revision surgery may be warranted (subject to approval by Medbelle), provided that:
- you have notified us within 6 (six) months of your initial surgery;
- your case is reviewed by Medbelle and Corrective/Revision surgery is approved as per the guidelines set in this policy;
- the Corrective/Revision surgery is performed by the same surgeon at the same hospital within a maximum of 18 months from your original surgery.
- 2.3 - If your Surgeon and Medbelle agree that a Corrective/Revision Surgery is required and falls under the terms and conditions of this Aftercare policy, we will inform you that such a Procedure is approved. Accordingly, we will do our best to find a date that suits your schedule. However, it is your responsibility to also work with us and make yourself available for one of the dates offered as the surgeon's schedule is determined months in advance and cannot be changed. Medbelle will offer you a maximum of three dates consecutively however please note that we are not bound to offer more than three.
- 2.4 - It is your responsibility to engage with your operating Surgeon in the case you require Corrective/Revision surgery. Any non-engagement will be deemed non-compliance with these terms.
- 2.5 - Where a Corrective/Revision Procedure is required, no expenses in relation to travel, accommodation, or time off work will be recoverable from us for you, or a chaperone, family member, or any other person. This includes (but is not limited to) circumstances where you or the Surgeon have relocated.
3 - Limitations of cover
- 3.1 - If your Surgeon decides that the results of the Procedure fall within the acceptable normal limits of surgery, further surgery will not be funded.
- 3.2 - If the results of your original Procedure fall within the acceptable normal limits, but further treatment may improve aesthetic results and you want further treatment, you will be responsible for any associated costs.
- 3.3 - If Corrective/Revision Surgery is deemed necessary by your Surgeon and approved to be covered by Medbelle, Medbelle will cover the cost of one episode of care only. If after the Corrective/Revision surgery you wish to pursue additional treatments/procedures, this will not be covered by Medbelle.
- 3.4 - If the original Procedure was a day case Procedure and the Corrective/Revision Procedure requires an overnight stay, this will come at an additional cost to you.
- 3.5 - Where a Corrective/Revision procedure is required and approved by Medbelle, Medbelle will only cover the procedure costs directly related to the complications arising from the original surgery. Any other aspects of the proposed Complication/Revision procedure that is not directly related to the complication arising from the original surgery will be at cost to you.
- 3.6 - If you require any additional treatments/procedures that are not directly related to a complication of your original surgery such as but not limited to additional treatments/procedures to improve the outcome of your surgery further, this does not imply that the original surgery was unsuccessful, or that the surgery falls under the category of revision or correction. It is however simply a reflection of the fact that a surgeon cannot guarantee a precise result or predict with full accuracy how your body will heal after surgery. Any further surgeries that you choose to have will not be covered by Medbelle and will be at further cost to you.
- 3.7 - In cases where the results of the Procedure originally provided have, in the opinion of the Surgeon, been compromised due to the patient's non-adherence to the postoperative guidelines, instructions, recommendations or advice regarding Postoperative Appointments or care and lifestyle, Medbelle cannot commit to providing Corrective/Revision Procedure at special, reduced or nil rates.
- 3.8 - Medbelle will not cover the costs of care when implants are found to be defective as liability will fall on the implant manufacturer.
- 3.9 - Where relevant, if your breast implants are removed by another provider for any reason, and such implants are found to be ruptured, Medbelle will not be responsible for any implant-related costs. You should contact the implant manufacturer to take advantage of the implant warranty/guarantee.
- 3.10 - Where relevant, any variances, additions and/or modifications to the Corrective/Revision Procedure, including (but not limited to) an increase or decrease in implant size or implant type (like texture or brand), will be of an additional cost to you paid for by you.
- 3.11 - Medbelle will not cover you for any claim that you make regarding complications/need for Corrective/Revision surgeries arising as a result of :
- A postoperative infection caused by body piercing;
- A medical condition that is not associated with your surgery
- the need to improve your cosmetic result;
- A medical condition that arises from personal injuries or accidents e.g. sports injury; subsequent capsular contracture or implant rupture.
- further tightening of breast or nipple lift which has settled within normal limits;
- external factors/accidents not related directly to the procedure;
- side effects of wearing garments that impact the results;
- self-inflicted alteration of your cosmetic results;
- other complications as listed below (but not limited to):
- allergies from fillers;
- loss of sensitivity, altered sensations, numbness;
- bleeding or bruising from liposuction;
4 - Other Limitations
- 4.1 - If you have further treatment independent of Medbelle, without prior Medbelle approval, then this Aftercare policy does not apply and neither Medbelle nor the Surgeon will be responsible for any clinical outcome or cost incurred.
- 4.2 - If your Corrective/Revision surgery was done by another surgeon, who you were not referred to by Medbelle and you are unhappy with the outcome, Medbelle will not be responsible for any related costs.
- 4.3 - Where we are unable to manage your clinical complications, we will make the most appropriate alternative arrangements to provide the right care for you which may include the NHS.
Talk to us
We're here to help. Choose the best way to reach us be it via phone, email or WhatsApp.