Mr David Cairns is a highly experienced Orthopaedic & Trauma surgeon with over 10 years of experience as a consultant. He also trains surgeons on the latest surgical techniques and is an examiner for the fellowship examination.
Consultant Orthopaedic Shoulder and Upper Limb Surgeon
BSc, MB ChB, FRCS Ed (Tr & Orth)
Shoulder and Upper Limb
Mr David Cairns is a senior Orthopaedic & Trauma surgeon with over 10 years of consultant experience. Alongside his NHS and private practice positions, he is Director of North of Scotland Training Programme in Orthopaedic Surgery and has a passion for education and research. Mr Cairns is also a member of the Aberdeen Orthopaedics network. Patients appreciate his friendly demeanour and professionalism.
- 2008 - Present: NHS Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon at both Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and Woodend hospitals in Aberdeen
- 2008 - Present: Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of Aberdeen
- 2008 - Present: Training Programme Director for the North of Scotland Orthopaedic Rotation
- 2017 - Present: Examiner for the Fellowship examination in Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery (FRCS Tr&Orth).
- BSc Med Sci University of Edinburgh 1996
- MBChB University of Edinburgh 1997
- FRCS (Tr&Orth) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2006
- Sports Surgery Fellowship Perth Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Group 2007
- General Medical Council (GMC) number: 4442666
- British Orthopaedic Association and British Elbow and Shoulder Society
- Examiner for the Intercollegiate Exam in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery (FRCS Tr&Orth)
- The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Specialist surgical interests
- Shoulder surgery: arthroscopy, rotator cuff injuries, instability surgery and joint replacement.
- Elbow surgery and management of tendinopathy, e.g. tennis or golfer's elbow
- Hand surgery: carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren's surgery and arthritis
- Trauma surgery
Mr David Cairns is part of Aberdeen Orthopaedics, a network of highly-experienced orthopaedic specialists working together to provide the very best multidisciplinary care in Aberdeen and the surrounding areas.
Circle Albyn Hospital
21 Albyn Pl