Mr James Bidwell is a highly-experienced orthopaedic surgeon based in Aberdeen, he specialises in knee and lower limb surgery & is celebrated within his field.
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
MBBS (Lon), FRCSEd (Tr&Orth)
Knee surgery & General Othopaedics
Years of experience
Mr James Bidwell is a highly experienced surgeon and since 2001 has been a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Aberdeen. He specialises in the areas of lower limb arthroplasty and general orthopaedic surgery, with an interest in soft tissue knee surgery, he trained in London and Glasgow, with further specialist fellowship training in Edinburgh. He also undertook a travelling fellowship in North America back in 2000. Patients consider Mr Bidwell to be thorough, empathetic and professional and rate him highly in reviews.
- 2012 - Present: Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon and Partner, Aberdeen Orthopaedics Network
- 2001 - Present: Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedics. NHS Grampian
- MBBS, London Hospital Medical College 1989
- FRCSEd (Tr&Orth) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2000
- General Medical Council (GMC) number: 3407576
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK)
- British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
- European Society for Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA)
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS)
Specialist surgical interests
- ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) injury
- Achilles tendon problems
- Arthritis of foot & ankle, hip, and knee
- Avascular Necrosis (AVN) of the Hip
- Sports injuries
- Knee replacement surgery
- Knee ligament reconstruction surgery
- Knee joint cartilage surgery
- Lower limb arthroplasty
- Foot and ankle surgery
- General orthopaedics
Mr Bidwell specialises in sports injuries and lower limb reconstructive surgery, including knee surgery in which he has a specialist interest in custom-fit total knee arthroplasty. He also has a particular interest in non-surgical treatments of joint pain such as injection therapy, bracing treatment, and new biological therapies.
Mr Bidwell is based at the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and the Woodend Hospital, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary (ARI) is the largest hospital in the Grampian area, with over 900 beds and a full trauma unit. Mr Bidwell is also been part of the Aberdeen Orthopaedic Network.
Aberdeen Orthopaedics is a group of local orthopaedic specialists all of whom have trained around the globe. They provide patients with high-quality care including specialist investigations and treatments, including MRI scans, DEXA scanning and shockwave therapy. As a team, they are dedicated to bringing innovation to orthopaedic care, championing the latest in modern developments. James is chairman of Aberdeen Orthopaedics and knee specialist, his expertise and decades of experience add a great deal to the care the group is able to offer.