Breast Reduction Scar Care Plan with Mr. Foiz Ahmed
How to care for scars following breast reduction surgery according to one of our breast specialist plastic surgeon
October 20th, 2020
One of the main concerns patients express is that of scarring following breast reduction surgery. Scars are something that is unavoidable to a degree, however, following a strict scar care plan you can minimise scars and help your breasts to heal quickly. We spoke to our London surgeon and breast specialist, Mr Foiz Ahmed about his recommendations for scar care after breast reduction surgery.
Mr Foiz's Scar Care Plan Following Breast Reduction Surgery:
- Leave dressings on until a nurse reviews your progress at week one during your followup appointment
- Remove dressings at week two
- All being well at week two, massage scars thoroughly and regularly - moisturise with something contains that vitamin E, and work into the skin in firm circles, along the length of the scars
- Wear compression/support bra for six weeks after surgery
- Silicone scar gel is useful for abnormal scarring, but not necessarily advantageous for normal scars, healing well
It's important to remember that this is a general guideline scar care plan and most patients will follow this, however, it's your personalised recovery plan you should adhere to. Your surgeon will have a much better grasp on your situation and what's necessary for you. For instance, black skin may require more attention following breast reduction surgery.
If you're ever unclear on scar care following breast reduction surgery you can contact your personal Patient Care Adviser or discuss your scar care plan with your surgeon during your post-op follow-ups. You can also learn more about breast reduction surgery patient stories here.
Pain & Large Breasts
February 7th, 2020
Get To Know BAAPS/BAPRAS
January 9th, 2020
Surgery Abroad? Think Again
January 17th, 2020