Breast Implant Replacement Surgery: Preparation & Aftercare
It’s not always an easy decision to have surgery. For this reason, at Medbelle, we want to offer every one of our patients the best possible aftercare for every procedure. Furthermore, we encourage our patients to use our platform to become fully informed about the procedure they are considering.
Our Patient Care Advisers will always be on hand to resolve any questions you may have and offer information and care directly to you. Our Medbelle surgeons are available in a free consultation to guide you through everything step-by-step. By following the advice of our Medbelle experts, you can guarantee you are properly prepared for the procedure and ensure a
Recovering from breast implant replacement surgery
How long will it take to recover from breast implant replacement surgery?
It can take some time to recover from breast implant replacement surgery and every recovery journey is different. You should give your body enough rest as well as the time and opportunity to heal. You will be in some pain after your surgery, by following our advice carefully, however, you can do everything you can to ensure the best possible outcome.
Some patients will go home on the day of the procedure, most will stay in the hospital for 1 night, some patients may also stay for 2 nights.
Your Medbelle surgeon will schedule a follow-up appointment with you within 2 weeks of your breast implant replacement procedure. This allows them to monitor your recovery and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Breast implant replacement recovery timeline
1 - 4 Days
- Sleep upright in bed, supported by pillows to help reduce swelling
- Wear a supportive bra and continue wearing it for around 3 weeks
- Take things easy when you get home
- It is entirely normal to experience some pain in discomfort over these days
5 - 14 Days
- Any pain or discomfort should become more manageable and the swelling will decrease
- You may start driving again, only when you are comfortable
- Slowly begin to increase your mobility, while still avoiding physical exercise
After 2 Weeks
- You will notice a continued reduction in swelling and bruising
- You should be able to return to work
After 4 Weeks
- Begin gently exercising if you wish, but avoid anything too strenuous
- The appearance of your breast continues to improve
6 - 9 months
- Scars will begin to soften and fade
- After 9 months the healing process should be fully complete
What can I do to look after my surgical wounds?
At Medbelle, we advise that you take all the recommended steps to protect your scars to ensure the best possible healing process. Once the treatment area has become less tender and painful, we recommend using scar gels. When your bruising has subsided, you may look into a scar massage. You should keep your scars out of direct sunlight and, in the event of them becoming exposed to the sun, you should apply a high-factor sunscreen.
What else can I do to ensure the best possible recovery from breast implant replacement surgery?
- You may be advised to adjust your personal hygiene routine. It is important to keep your scars clean however you may not be able to have a shower or get the treatment area wet for several days after your breast implant replacement procedure.
- Limit your physical movement for some time following surgery, which may require you to find help for washing and cleaning the treatment area.
- Maintain a healthy diet to help recover from breast implant replacement surgery. You should eat high-protein, low-sodium foods and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid drinking alcohol if you are taking any medication.
- Wear comfortable clothing after your surgery. Dressing and undressing should be done carefully to prevent you from straining or raising your arms above your head.
How does Medbelle support me through my breast implant replacement procedure?
Medbelle is a digital hospital which puts personalised care and patients’ wellbeing first. That’s why your personal care adviser will be available to answer all your questions right through from your initial decision, to the day of the procedure, and for up to 6 weeks after surgery, as you recover. You will receive:
- A Medbelle care package.
- A Pre- & post-op guidebook with tips for your aftercare process and information about how to ensure a stress-free recovery.
- Regular check-ins from your personal patient care adviser to support your recovery and assess your progress.
What can I do to prepare for breast implant replacement surgery?
Following a breast implant replacement procedure, some everyday tasks or activities may be difficult for some time. Below are some general breast implant replacement surgery tips to help you have the smoothest recovery with the best possible results.
- Do a big food shop for nutritious foods before your surgery.
- Prepare and freeze meals to ensure you do not have to worry about cooking.
- Complete your household chores before the day of your surgery, these tasks may be too strenuous or painful in the days after the breast implant replacement procedure.
- Reorganise your home to ensure any necessary items are within easy reach. This will help you avoid straining and help the healing process.
- You may benefit from finding someone to help take care of young children or pets for the first week following your surgery. This can help you focus your energy on getting better and allow for a quicker recovery.
Find out more about how to plan ahead for your surgery in our Medbelle Blog.